Construction of our church began in 1856 and was completed in April of 1858 when the sanctuary was dedicated.The original site of this historic, Brandywine blue granite church was Delaware Avenue and Washington Street. The first known Swedenborgian in Wilmington was Margarita Lammot, who married Alfred V. DuPont in 1824; later her sisters Mary Hounsfield and Eleanor Gilpin arrived.By the time their father, Daniel Lammot, a national lay leader of the denomination moved to Wilmington in 1855, there was an informal society of about twenty members.
Artist and author Howard Pyle was an active member of the church until his death in 1911.As he painted he often asked his secretary to read Swedenborg to him.
In 1916, to prevent destruction of the edifice during road construction, the church was disassembled stone by stone and moved to its present site.T. Coleman and Pierre DuPont, relatives of Daniel Lammot’s, assisted with the financing of this move.
1118 N. Broom Street Wilmington DE 19806 302-654-5014 firstname.lastname@example.org